Adding students to the school’s student list is a very important task. Required fields are the student’s first name; surname and personal identification code and country of issue. The ID code must be unique, two students with the same ID cannot have an active role in a school. If there is a unique national code, it should be preferred to use it. In the absence of such a code, the school should develop a system of numbering its students. When importing data, the country of issue of the personal identification code will be the country shown in the school’s data.
Importing students into the school
1. Create a table with the names, IDs, and other details of the students you want to import. The first row of this table must contain fixed field names.
Required fields are: idCode (Student ID); name1 (first name); name2 (last name).
Optional fields to add: class (class number); parallelId (parallel identifier); gender (M, F allowed); street (street and house address): city, email (student e-mail address); county; postalIndex (zip code); studentNumber (student number); phoneArea (area code) phone (phone number)
An example of importing students is done in the OpenOffice table:
2. Download the OpenOffice Filter Package for OpenOffice XML export from the eKool page. The package name is “Ekool import.jar”
3. Open table, what contains student data; open the “XML Filter Settings” option from the OO Tools menu. Click on “Open package” to find the downloaded file. Click Open. New rules were added to the existing ones.
Steps 2 and 3 need to be done only once, before the first student data import. From now on, the rules are saved for OpenOffice and you do not need to add them again.
4. Click File> Export> select the appropriate storage location and the rule “eKool Import (.xml)”. Save the XML file
5. the XML file could be opened with an XML editor or a simple word processor, in the end, it might have blank lines that interfere with the import, delete them.
The data is now ready for import:
- Open eKool. press + on the Schoolyear page.
- Select a file, select a date to start studying
- Transfer the data to eKool.
- You will receive a message about successful imports and a list of students who were either repetitive (the student with this ID code was already on the school list) or who had an error in their data.
- If a student is in the wrong class, they should be tagged and with Decision> Change Current year > move them to the right class.